Preventive maintenance upkeep benefits a vacuum cleaner in several essential ways. It enables you to save time and money by maximizing your machine’s performance, longevity, and efficiency. These tips are helpful for bagless, bagged, upright, and canister vacuum cleaner models and the tips range from replacing rubber belts to reinforcing cracks in hoses.
Use this checklist to simplify your maintenance routine, or get use this as a starting point to help maintain and extend the life of your vacuum cleaners.
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
- If there’s a filter, remember to clean it every 1-3 weeks. This will boost suction and enhance the quality of indoor air. Be sure to replace this component if it becomes damaged or you can’t fully clean it.
- Empty a bagless unit’s canister regularly. Consider doing so every time you use the machine; this makes it harder to forget. A full canister or bag increases the risk of overheating.
- Replace a paper bag when you notice that the suction strength has dropped or a light marked “bag full” is shining. Please don’t use a bag after you’ve filled more than 75 percent of it.
- Check the rubber belt from time to time. Most models with brush rollers contain replaceable belts. If this part develops cracks or becomes loose, buy a new unit at a department or hardware store.
- Examine the cleaner’s electrical cord and plug. A knowledgeable technician should replace the power cord if its insulation suffers significant damage or one of the metal prongs breaks off.
- Make an effort to thoroughly clean the machine’s housing, brush roller, attachments, wheels, exhaust grille, pipes, and hoses. Brush rollers usually need cleaning more often than other components.
- Check the hose for cracks or other signs of deterioration. Use duct tape to fortify weak areas before they break open. It’s best to move a canister vacuum cleaner by lifting it rather than pulling on the hose.
After you’ve addressed every item on this vacuum cleaner preventive maintenance checklist, you can rest assured that your machine is working at full capacity and will continue to serve its purpose for years to come. Be sure to read the instructions for model-specific recommendations and don’t forget to check out our guide on how to fix a clogged vacuum cleaner.
Also, keep an eye out for new techniques, tips, and tricks to add to your list. Share your list with friends and family and ask them to see if they have any tips too!