Should You Worry About Mold On Your Kid’s Bathtub Toys?


Should You Worry About Mold on Your Kids Bathtub Toys

Finding mold on anything can be worrisome, especially when it is on your child’s bathtub toys. The mold shows up as a dark substance or dirty water. You are not going to let your child play with it, but you may still be wondering if you should be worried or not.

The following are several concerns of finding mold on your child’s bathtub toys.

Accumulation of fungi and bacteria

If there is mold on or inside your child’s bath toys, there is likely a buildup of bacteria and fungi inside the toys as well. It is nearly impossible to avoid an eventual spotting of mold, but you may still feel worried.

Now, some fungi and bacteria can cause illness or infection, but there would have to be an existing health problem or a large amount of mold before it becomes a serious problem.

Of course, this does not mean you want to leave the mold on the bath toys, as this could cause a bigger buildup of bacteria and fungi.

Harmful if swallowed

Mold on or inside your child’s bath toys could also mean there is mold in their bathwater. It is not uncommon for a child to swallow bathwater, but it is common to be worried that your child has swallowed mold.

The good news is there is probably not enough mold in the water to make your child sick.

However, there is always a small chance the mold is going to make them sick. If your child becomes sick from mold, you are going to notice symptoms such as an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting.

You can ease your worries by ensuring your child does swallow any bathwater, or you can remove the toy and re-fill the bathtub with clean water.

Sensitivity to mold

If your child has a sensitivity to mold, then the mold on their bath toys is a bigger cause for concern. A child who has a reaction to mold may show symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and red eyes, and they may also develop a skin rash. Pay attention to when these symptoms show up, especially if it is shortly after you give them a bath.

You should think of your child’s sensitivity to mold as an allergic reaction. You want to prevent them from coming into contact with the mold. A toy with mold on or inside it should be removed from the bathtub immediately. If the toy has already been in their bathwater, you want to drain and re-fill the tub to prevent a reaction.

Final words

So, should you be worried about mold on your child’s bathtub toys?

The simple answer is yes. However, to what degree should you worry will depend on your child’s health and sensitivity to mold. If your child has a severe sensitivity to mold, then you should be worried about finding it on their bath toys.

You may not have to worry if they are not sensitive to mold, but it is something you should take care of before it becomes a bigger problem. Keeping bathtub toys stored and organized properly after bath time can help, but you should always regularly inspect and clean your bathtub toys.

Emily Tidy

My name is Emily and I'm a mother to 3 beautiful little girls and a fat tabby cat named Flick. I enjoy writing informative guides and lifehacks about everyday tasks and questions. If my guides solve even one problem for my readers, then I consider my mission accomplished.

Recent Posts